Blogger Widgets

Wednesday 2 September 2015

August Favourites






I recently saw this Arrow Ring on Gemma's Blog: 'Just Little Things' and love the design and the Rose Gold colour! and felt compelled to add one to my life. I hardly wear rings just out of practicality and my fingers are very skinny so I feel it looks a bit odd; a bit clumpy but I shopped around a bit for a larger size than was available at her Etsy shop and love it.

Image Credit
I have made it a new rule in my impulse buying to not buy these Maryland Mix'Ems unless it is socially/bodily acceptable ie: man trouble/hormones/life against me/scheduled dance class as it is unavoidable to devour a whole packet of these tantalising treats in one-sitting. I eat biscuits, chocolate etc in layers, nibble at each choc chip savouring the texture and taste of each element that makes up an editable 'sin' (call me weird) and these are almightily great! Choc Chips, Popcorn, Caramel and 'Smarties'... ooooh and on a recent google search there are chocolate ones too *holymolyimgoingtogetfat* Dipped in Tea, crumbled over ice cream, and eaten as if the end of the world is nigh. NOM.



Image Credit
This story by Penelope Farmer is written for children/young adults and is one of these non sci-fi old fashioned time travel type books. Think: Tom's Midnight Garden by Philippa Pearce, Jessamy by Barbara Sleigh, Moondial by Helen Cresswell, C.S Lewis' The Lion, Witch and the Wardrobe. Charlotte has started boarding school and has chosen a bed in the shared dormitory- the one with ornate wheels. One night she wakes up to find she has traveled back in time to WW1. I love these stories, their short, light and easy to read and make you go all shivery (in a good way). This one is a tad confusing but still a good read if you like those type of stories.


 


My local Waitrose have starting stocking this Italian Bread entitled: Crosta & Mollica Pane Pugliese Durum Wheat Bread. It is divine, crusty goodness.



Such a great, strong vocal, catchy songs, great collabs. Not sure about the album art but the contents is good! I particularly like the Acoustic version of My Love and You Can Fine Me.




Doddleoddle
My new go-to youtuber is Dodie Clark. She is the most human by far! Not layering herself in makeup and expensive items, willing to tell life as it really is and editing her vids with a slight indie vibe. She is primarily a musician, a singer/songwriter who plays the ukulele (which is now on my birthday list!). I used to cringe at these instruments but she has helped me realise how cool and versatile this teeny tiny instrument is! I fully appreciate her quirk and humour.

Image Credit

Thanks to Dodie, I have discovered Jose Vanders (aka LAYLA aka Oh Wonder who are bringing out their debut album on 4th Sept this year!) a British Singer/Songwriter. With a distinct lovely sound, accompanied by beautiful piano (my description is awful - I thought she was European for starters so it's best if you just have a listen!) I reccomend her EP Blue Notes and her album Literature Lovers is also easy to listen and sing along too. 





At last it's back! Bake Off for any of you non-Brits is a reality cooking show where 13 amateur cooks compete in a variety of themed bakes judged on 3 rounds: the Signature Bake: tried-and-tested recipes, the Technical Bake: minimal instructions challenge the baker's knowledge and the Show- Stopper challenge: the bakers show off their skills and talent in professional appearance and taste. It's got a huge following over here judged by Paul Hollywood, the queen of baking: Mary Berry and presented by the great comedy duo Sue and Mel who are hilarious and make it all the more watchable. It is also obligatory to stuff your face with each episode's themed bake whilst watching(The American Baking Competition is based on this programme).




I have so much fabric I could easily open a haberdashery shop- and my god don't we need more of them: their all dying out!. But it's all mine and I just like looking at it, dreaming of all the things i could make but not wanting to cut it. I just want to hoard it and stroke it every now and again...But After getting the buzz for the Make Do and Mend attitude at the Fashion of the Ration exhibition at the Imperial War Museum, London I completed the 50s Butterick 'Walkaway Dress' (featured on the Great British Sewing Bee) and now working on the Betty Dress from Sew Over It patterns. Sewing is such a therapeutic past time and can be as easy or challenging as you make it! (but mostly challenging...mostly *name that quote*).


 Title and Boarder Designed by Lisa Levis.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.